Steps to join the BC Gov Rocket.Chat
- Support and community
- Report an incident
- How to get help and support
- Stay connected on Rocket.Chat
- Technical documentation
- Platform training and resources
- Join Stack Overflow
- Common platform requests
Rocket.Chat will be your main communication channel for platform updates and support while you work in the BC Gov Private Cloud PaaS. Learn how to set up accounts for you and your team.
On this page
- What you’ll need to join Rocket.Chat
- Join Rocket.Chat with an IDIR
- Join Rocket.Chat with a GitHub account
- If you can’t log in to Rocket.Chat
What you’ll need to join Rocket.Chat
In order to join the BC Gov Rocket.Chat platform, you must have either:
- An active IDIR account
- A GitHub account with membership in the bcgov organization on GitHub
Instructions for how to log in with each type of account are included on this page.
Join Rocket.Chat with an IDIR
To log in to Rocket.Chat using your IDIR, follow these steps:
- Go to the Rocket.Chat login page and click Login.
- On the next page, click IDIR.
- Use your IDIR username and password to log in, and click Continue.
- On the next screen, you may be asked to verify some of your contact information. Please review the information and make sure it is accurate.
- If the information is correct, click Continue. If any information is incorrect, click Edit and update your information. When you’re done, click Continue.
- We’ll send a verification email to the email address you provided in your contact information. Follow the steps in the email to verify your email address.
- Once you have verified your email address, you’re ready to start using Rocket.Chat.
Note: If you have problems logging in to Rocket.Chat, please check that you have an email address associated with your IDIR account. If your IDIR does not have an email address associated with it, contact 7-7000.
Join Rocket.Chat with a GitHub account
To log in to Rocket.Chat using your GitHub account, follow the steps listed above for logging in with an IDIR. In Step 2, click GitHub and use your GitHub username and password to log in.
Note: Your GitHub account must be a member of the bcgov organization on GitHub.
How to check if you’re a member of the bcgov organization on GitHub
To find out if your GitHub account is a member of bcgov, follow these steps:
- Log in to GitHub and click on your account icon in the top right corner. From the drop-down menu, select Your organizations.
- On the Your organizations page, you will see a list of all the organizations you have been added to. If bcgov is in the list, you can use your GitHub account to join Rocket.Chat.
Note: If you’re setting up an account for someone on your team, you can find their GitHub profile using this URL: https://github.com/insert team member’s GitHub username.
If they are not a member of bcgov, you can invite them to join.
If you can’t log in to Rocket.Chat
If you are having trouble accessing Rocket.Chat, contact us at PlatformServicesTeam@gov.bc.ca. Include answers to the following questions in your email:
- Are you trying to log in with an IDIR or GitHub account?
- What is the IDIR or GitHub username that you are using to login?
- What email address is associated with GitHub or IDIR account?
- If you are using GitHub, do you belong to the bcgov or BCDevops GitHub organization?
- Which Rocket.Chat platform are you using: browser, desktop app or mobile app?
- If you are using the browser platform, have you tried to restart the browser and clear your cache?
- What other steps have you taken to try and resolve the issue?
Note: If you have recently changed the email address associated with your IDIR or Github account, or if your IDIR has been updated recently, you might encounter issues logging in to Rocket.Chat. If there have been any recent changes to either of your accounts, please include that information in your email.